Sunday 4 January 2009

How to speak 'Ull

I’m from a city in the North of England called Kingston upon Hull or Hull for short. We have a strange accent that some people find hard to understand.
Here’s some things we say… have a go hahaha

Ellur, arm from 'ull - Good morning, I am from Hull
Summatup? - Is there something troubling you?
Parnta marld - A glass of dark beer
Arfa Larga - A smaller glass of beer of continental origin
Sner Berl - An egg-based liquer from Holland
Canaborryit? - May I borrow it?
It's marnanall - I am claiming joing-ownership
Shurrup orral bray yer - I recommend that you stop talking immediately
Yer for-ever mernin' - You do complain a lot
Ayer gorra bruvva? - Have you got a male sibling?
Watsyer bruvva carled? What is his name?
Ner smurkin' - You are not allowed to smoke
Arm off erm now, tarrar - An indication of imminent departure


Stop balling yered off! - Be quiet!
Mimmams gunner chowatmi - I shall be in severe trouble with my mother
She's rurin' ered off - She is very upset
Gassunder - Chamberpot
Urmanaway - Australian Soap Opera
Fern Curls - Telecommunications. See also Curdlessferns
'Ull Delly Mell - Local newspaper

Goangerided - Invitation to play a game of Hide and Seek
Plern block in tenfoot - Playing above game in an alleyway
E's a good doms larker - He plays dominoes well
Giz a croggie - Request for a ride on the crossbar of a bicycle
Bags foggy! - I would like to go first
Ullefsee - Rugby team
Bullyvard - Home ground of the above
Bluddy targers! - Hull City have lost again!
Urnly furls anurses - Popular TV series
Radiur Umbersard - Local radio station

Turd-stool - A fungus. Not to be confused with the mushroom
Gizza pennith 'gammy fruit - Could I please have some of those bruised apricots
Aypath of each - Fish and chips for half pence
Ar gorrit for narn narty narn - It cost me nearly ten pounds
I gorrit for nowt - I did not pay anything
It dunt tek farvs - This vending machine will not take my 5p coin
A penny all off - A short back and sides
Goin' on rerd - Goind shopping
Chantsav - as above
'ezzle rerd - Local thoroughfare
Boyziz - Local chain store
'ammonds - as above
British Erm Stairs - as above
Curlslur - Sliced cabbage
Kaylie - Sherbert
Spanish - Liquorice
Broken biccies - Damaged confectionary
Serp on a rerp - Cleansing bar on a string

Me owsiz on fiyer darl narn narn narn - My house is ablaze. Please alert the emergency services.
Fiyer injin - Result of the above
Arv been brokken into - My house has been burgled
Gorra curled - I'm a bit stuffed-up today
Arfarted - Lack of commitment, or "I have broken wind"
Armalite - Type of rifle or "My trousers are on fire"
Av ad parls - I have been suffering from haemorrhoids
Arv bust me trowziz - My trousers appear to have broken
Osson flags - There is a horse on the pavement

Worrawolly - I feel this person has made a food of himself
I'll bray yer eddin' - I may become agressive
E ad a right skate god - He was rather loud mouthed
I'll clip yer lug 'ole - Do be quiet
Shut yer cake 'ole - as above

Snur on Frurm rurd - Winter in Longhill Estate a street called Frome Road
There's nur snur on the rurd - The road is clear of snow
I'm mafted - I'm rather hot
It's mafting - It's rather hot
It's siling down - It's raining

Perp (the) - Head of the Catholic Church
Pearl Tax - The Community Charge


Amgunna - I am going to....
Nowtinnit - Empty
I aren't - I am not
Dinntit? - Did it not?
Yiss - Affirmative
Err nerr - An expression of dismay
Dernt nerr - I do not know
Diddy farndowt - Did he find anything
Lerds and lerds - Plenty. See also Givin' it lerds
Canaborryit? - Could I perhaps use that for a second


2 comments:

  1. Me owsiz on fiyer darl narn narn narn?? OMG - this cracked me up - I shall have to study late at night before we meet...:o)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err nerr is my favourite :D

    ReplyDelete